A Versatile Addition to Food
Many daily users love the earthy, grassy taste of CBD oil – but a few people find that the flavour simply doesn’t agree with them. Do you have difficulty holding CBD oil under your tongue because you don’t care for the flavour? No problem! You can still experience the effects by cooking with CBD oil. In this guide, we’ll show you how – but first, let’s discuss some of the benefits and drawbacks of taking CBD oil with food.
Benefits of Taking CBD Oil With Food
- The flavour of CBD oil blends easily with many foods. If you take CBD oil with food, you probably won’t notice its taste at all. You may even find that our flavoured CBD oil heightens the taste of your favourite foods!
- The body absorbs CBD through the intestines more slowly than it does sublingually. You may therefore find that the effects of CBD are longer lasting when you take it with food.
- Consuming CBD oil with other healthy fats can help your body assimilate its compounds more completely.
Drawbacks of Taking CBD Oil With Food
- You can’t use CBD oil as a cooking oil. The active compounds in CBD oil turn to vapour at around 160° C (320° F). If you use CBD oil as a cooking oil, many of the active compounds will disappear into the air. The way to add CBD oil to your food, therefore, is to keep the oil at room temperature, cook it at a low temperature or add it to food that’s already cooked.
- Cooking with CBD oil isn’t the best solution if you want to experience the effects quickly. It may take up to 90 minutes for the body to process CBD through the digestive system. Until you know how the CBD oil affects your body when taken with food, you should avoid the temptation to eat a second dose when the effects of the first dose haven’t fully kicked in yet.
- Dosing can be a challenge until you get used to cooking with CBD. If you infuse a sauce with one serving of CBD, for example, you’ll have to eat the entire batch of sauce, or you’ll be leaving some of the CBD behind.
CBD Oil Isn’t Cooking Oil
As stated above, the most important thing to remember when taking CBD oil with food is that CBD oil isn’t cooking oil because the CBD rapidly dissipates into the air when heated above 160° C. In addition, many people find that CBD oil turns bitter when it’s heated excessively. Keep your CBD oil away from direct heat. Use CBD oil in food by mixing it with cold foods, room temperature foods, foods cooked at low temperatures and foods that have already been cooked.
Are you a fan of takeout or restaurant foods – or simply don’t enjoy cooking with recipes? No problem! You can drizzle a bit of CBD oil over virtually any food. Try mixing a little CBD oil with your favourite soups, stews and curries. You can also add CBD oil to any smoothie or nut butter.
BONUS: 5 Great Tasting CBD Oil Cooking Recipes
Recommended Product: OK CBD Tongue Drops: Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F / 177° C / gas mark 4.
- Add multiple servings of CBD oil to a measuring cup. Remember that for predictable dosing, you’ll want to use at least one serving of CBD oil for each brownie you intend to cut. Top off the cup with vegetable oil until you have ½ total cup of oil. Stir thoroughly.
- Place the oil in a mixing bowl. Add ½ cup of sugar and mix completely.
- Add two eggs and one teaspoon of vanilla extract to the bowl. Mix completely. Set the bowl aside.
- Add ½ cup flour, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon baking powder to a second bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Grease a 9”x9” pan. Stir together the wet and dry ingredients and add the finished brownie mixture to the pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Allow the brownies to cool before removing them from the pan and cutting them.
- This recipe works because, at a lower baking temperature, the brownies don’t get hot enough to turn the CBD to vapour.
Try with: OK CBD Oil in summer berry flavour
CBD Berry Vinaigrette
Recommended Product: OK CBD Tongue Drops: Summer Berry
- Add about 1/3 cup of your favourite healthy oil to a blender. We like extra virgin olive oil and hemp oil.
- Add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar or lemon juice.
- Add a little sugar, maple syrup or agave nectar for sweetening if desired.
- Add a healthy pinch of salt and a little pepper.
- Add a good handful of fresh berries. Raspberries work well!
- Add CBD oil.
- Blend the mixture and pass through a sieve to remove seeds. Drizzle over your favourite salad.
Try with: OK CBD Oil in spearmint flavour
Recommended Product: OK CBD Tongue Drops: Spearmint
- Place a sugar cube, the juice of one lime, the leaves from one mint sprig and some CBD oil in a glass. Muddle the ingredients together with a wooden pestle until the sugar is dissolved and the mint leaves are thoroughly broken up.
- Add some ice and one shot of light rum to the glass. Stir thoroughly.
- Top with a little soda water and enjoy.
- CBD oil adds a delicious flavour and body to any cocktail. Remember, though, that oil and water don’t mix. Stir or shake your CBD cocktails thoroughly to prevent the CBD oil from rising straight to the top!
CBD Ice Cream
Recommended Product: OK CBD Tongue Drops: Vanilla
- Place a cup of cream in a sauce pan. Add ¾ cup sugar, the seeds of one vanilla bean and a pinch of salt. Simmer to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Remove the mixture from the heat. Add ¾ cup heavy cream, 1 ¼ cup milk and CBD oil. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator and stir a final time before adding to an ice cream maker.
- Don’t feel like making CBD ice cream from scratch? Simply allow a pint of store-bought ice cream to soften slightly. Stir in some CBD oil before returning the ice cream to your freezer.
Try with: OK CBD Oil in orange flavour
CBD Avocado Toast
Recommended Product: OK CBD Tongue Drops: Orange
- Toast two slices of good bread.
- Place a sliced avocado in a bowl. Using a fork, mash the avocado with some salt and pepper, a bit of lemon juice, some parsley and a serving of CBD oil.
- Spoon the mixture over the toast and enjoy! If you’d like a meal that’s more filling, top the avocado toast with two poached eggs and eat with a fork and knife. You’ll love how the runny egg heightens the flavour of the avocado.
- CBD oil is also great with guacamole!